WELCOME TO MY BLOG

You may be wondering why I decided on the title I chose. Well about 2 months ago I decided to become a runner. I am a very slow runner, otherwise known in the running world as a turtle. I am determined to become faster and maybe someday become a racer. Therefore, I chose breaks out of her shell. Join me on my journey. As this turtle breaks out of her shell.

Monday, January 30, 2012

"Me and running don't always see eye to eye. Some days it hurts more than others. But it doesn't mean I don't do it. I deal with it and I keep running because not everything that is good for you always feels good for you."

New Fitness Challenges for 2012


For the past three years, I have been trying to get to my goal weight. I started out with the goal of losing 40 pounds at 40. Well, here I am at 43 still trying to meet that goal. When I started I thought if I walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes, and tried to watch what I ate it would be simple and I would be at my goal weight in a few months. Boy, was I in for a surprise. First, I found out that it wasn't as easy as when I was in my 20's. I found out that it took me longer to recover. Second, I didn't realized how bad I was addicted to sugar. I just didn't want to give it up. I tried Weight Watchers for about a year and lost around 15 pounds. But, I am bad about keeping up with points and all that. So, last year I just tried this and that. But, still did not want to give up those sweets. I would make up excuses, like if I go walk on the incline, well I can have that candy bar. I played around with jogging. But never liked it. This past summer I was outside with the hubby but could just never get over the huffing and puffing. That all changed about three months ago, I started walking 2 miles everyday outside with my hubby, and then we built up to a 3 mile course. I then gradually started adding in a little bit of jogging. I can now run a mile comfortably, but not too fast. I have been reading a lot of blogs by runners and love the encouragement. I also started weight training with the hubby and my son ( it helps to have a son who is a power-lifting champion who holds world records.) . I find it to be challenging but I love it!! I also have changed my eating habits. I have begun eating low carb with lots of veggies. I am even enjoying eating eggs which I hated in the past. So far, all of this seems to be working I have dropped 10lbs since Christmas, and my flapping old lady underarms are getting toned. So this is the challenge I have set for my self this year, I want to be able to run a 5k before the year ends. I can't wait to see what this year holds for me and I hope to meet my goal weight this year.

No comments: